“She dresses herself with strength
and makes her arms strong.”
My health is not usually a very high priority for me. I’m a busy mom who spends a lot of time taking care of everyone else’s health. I don’t have much time or energy left for worrying about my own body. Oh, and I’m also a little lazy from time to time. Maybe that has something to do with it.
But that Proverbs 31 woman convicts me again. She’s no wimp. She is strong and hard working. Me? I can be a little bit wimpy.
Last week we went to our local children’s science center. They had a room that was all about the human body. There were tests you could take to measure how you stacked up in things like strength and flexibility. I scored lower than my 10-year old son. I wish I was joking….but I’m not.
I think it’s time to take better care of myself so I’ll have the strength and energy I need to manage my home and bless my family. My list of healthy goals probably looks very much like most people’s lists, but my motivation should be more purposeful. My true goal should be to glorify God, right? I need to take care of myself so I can serve God better.
- Eat right-I’m a snacker. I tell myself that one little handful of chips won’t hurt me. That would be right if I didn’t tell myself that five times a day. And I can go an entire day without eating a vegetable. I need to eat the good stuff and resist the bad stuff.
- Find healthy recipes-My husband and I try to eat low carb, but I have a limited selection of meals that fit the bill. My whole family would benefit from my efforts to find more healthy menu ideas.
- Drink more water-I put drink water on my Morning To Do and my Afternoon To Do lists. Still, I don’t always get the water I need. I get busy and just forget. If I prepare a big ‘ol water bottle early in the day, I’ll be more likely to get my fill.
- Exercise-I’ve already told you how I feel about exercise. I don’t like it. Well, that’s too bad for me since I need lots more of it. I need to build up my strength for our next trip to the science center. Riley had better watch out because Mama is working out. He’s going down…..um…..I mean, I’m going to try to do better while I’m also cheering him on. Yep, that’s what I meant.
- Take care of my skin-I’m not getting any younger, and neither is my skin. I’m awful about properly cleansing and moisturizing my face. If I’m not careful, my skin is going to start looking as old as I feel. I need to wash the make-up off my face every evening and follow up with a good moisturizer.
Click to learn more about my goals for a better new year and for links to all the posts in this series.
What is one thing your can do today for your health? Tell us in the comments!