I have something to tell you that will get me nothing but dirty looks from all of Ohio and most of the greater Midwest: I like snow. Well, I like it sometimes, and only in reasonable amounts. But when the conditions are just right, I like it.
As a kid, I would look out my bedroom window at night to see how much snow was falling under the streetlight at the corner of our backyard. Then, the next morning, I would listen to the radio as they rattled off the long list of school closings, hoping mine would make the cut.
That was back before you could simply click on a website to know the good news. I think when I was a kid, they were still chiseling the closings into stone, then sending word via carrier pigeon to the nearest telegraph station. But regardless of the method of transmission (or how many historical time periods I just referenced. or how impossible it would be for a carrier pigeon to deliver a message carved in stone), the news was bliss.
This morning, I actually texted my son's phone with the news that his school is closed so he could find out quickly and go right back to sleep. My, how times have changed! (Lucky kid.)
One thing that hasn't changed is the fact that I love a free snow day! I had some post ideas swirling around in my head today, but it's a snow day so you get the quick and easy version.
Here goes, in no particular order....
- I want to make cut-out cookies. Because I didn't do any for Christmas. Or Valentine's Day. Just thought I'd let you know.
- You should read the first two chapters of Philippians. Right now. They really are life changing.
- I'm reading the book From Garbage to Gourmet. It is seriously good stuff. I love anything about being frugal, and this book is one of the best I've read. It's all about using up every bit of the food we buy to avoid wasting our money and our resources. It is packed with information, ideas, and recipes, and it's presented with lots of color and in snippets, so it's easy to read.
Riley was looking at it over my shoulder in the orthodontist's office yesterday, and even he liked it. I figure any book about food and frugal living that has the endorsement of a ten year-old boy must be worth reading. Today and tomorrow only, From Garbage to Gourmet is on sale for just $4.99 (that's 50% off!), which you'll easily save on groceries after just a week or two of applying the principles it teaches. Since, if you're anything like me, you'll forget to buy it until two minutes after the sale ends, you might want to click over to get your copy now. Don't worry, I'll wait until you get back.
- In other book news (like that intro?), my friend Kayse is practically giving away her book Getting It Together (click to read my review). If you have ever wanted to put together a homemaking binder, or if you simply need some cute printables to organize...well...everything, then you won't want to miss out on this $1 deal. Just use the code GETfor1. There are limited quantities at this price, so go ahead, and I'll wait for you to get back from buying this book, too.
- And with yet another infomercial (Hey, it's a snow day; I can do what I want.)...the talented ladies at Christian Mommy Blogger are sharing their knowledge and blogging skills with the rest of the world through their new consulting venture. I have to tell you that I love these girls! They're rock stars, and they don't make you feel like an idiot when you ask them if you're going to break the Internet. If you have a blog (or wish you did), you should check out their new services and enter to win their consulting giveaways. It's fine if you want to head on over there to learn more or enter to win ...I'm getting used to waiting.
- I love chocolate chip granola bars. Don't know why I just told you that, but it's true. And it's a snow day, so I get to say random, stupid stuff.
Hope you have a fun day making snow angels, or drinking hot coffee and tea, or organizing your kitchen cabinets. Whatever makes you happy. Personally, I plan on doing all of that. Except making snow angels. While I love looking at the snow, I totally hate how cold it is. But that's alright because (say it with me) it's a snow day!
What is one thing you would like to do on a snow day? And how do you feel about chocolate chip granola bars? Please share!
4 replies »